The Veil

April 26, 2010

Comfortably Numb


This is for yesterday.

My inertia to go out was sky high even when the gloom and rain cleared up. My motivation was waning due to my skeleton of lazy bones. I just want to stay home and let the much missed new sofa and television accompany in the countdown to the dreaded Monday. But something within just urged me to go get out of the four walls and embark on a mini adventure for myself.

On bike, I ventured out, thought I would just cycle along the connecting park connectors and enjoy the luxury of having an afternoon all to myself. Eventually I ended up in East Coast Park an hour later, with tired limbs and an awfully sore butt. In any case, I took a long break at the pier/ jetty, and just do people-watching. I have always enjoyed this particular activity since young. I like looking at how people behave, scrutinizing their dressing, and observing their reactions to different situations. It can be quite an obsession, I got to admit. But it had helped to nurture my keen sense of observation and eye for details you see.

So there I was, enjoying the sea breeze, entertaining myself by conjuring funny thoughts in my mind when this Chinese couple decided that I would be their photographer of their day. The camera was pushed into my hesitantly stretched-out hands and somehow I started snapping away, time-freezing their unabashed smiles and blissful expressions as well as some awkward postures that I am baffled by. When their seemingly insatiable appetite for photos was somehow filled, I went back to my interrupted activity and its amazing how relationships is such a huge part of our life, if not the essence of it. I read a book “The Last Chinese Chef” and it revolves around two Chinese characters 关系”. I do not think anyone could ever live a life as if he/ she is an island, just self-sufficient and all. We have “关系” with the cleaning lady for our offices, the hair dresser that does our hair regularly and the neighbor that just stays right beside us.

Anyway, I decided the sore ass had enough rest and headed home. And guess what, I bumped into Bren on his usual jogging route. A really pleasant surprise. We lingered and just exchanged a friendly conversation for a few minutes before we went our separate ways. Bren is a blessed brother whose presence and uniqueness I have come to adore and appreciate. I wish the best for him. Heartfelt.

AND I DID MY SUPER GROCERY SHOPPING!


The trees danced to the wind ever so gracefully,

The waves caressed the beach ever so caringly.

And as I marvel at His beautiful works,

I pray that His Grace would never end,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home