The Veil

April 28, 2010

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.


Finally watched it last night.

I rented it on Sunday's evening. All the while i have not watched it because i am afraid it would not live up to its expectations. I supposed it has always been like that for me, contemplating too much. Aha. It did not disappoint, in fact it is one of those few movies that make me think about it even if i lay on the bed, trying to sleep.

Memory-erasing is bullshit. I would never want to erase any part of memory or any person for that matter. I firmly believe that memories make up who we are today. The funny thing was that before the movie, i went to Margt's blog and she actually had this only post there with previous archives deleted,

"I have the habit of erasing memories off my life every now and then- for 22 years."

I was part shocked, part amazed upon reading it. How do you cultivate a habit of wiping out memories? But i rationalize that it is this unique quality or should i say, ability that enables Margaret to move on at seemingly the speed of light from almost everything, the setbacks and painful lessons. She does not linger apparently. What to do, she is just, a standout individual.

Then again, admiring her does not mean i need to emulate or agree. I still hold on to my beliefs about keeping memories, regardless the worth. My SJAB days, friendships that were forged with harris, boon- the AC2 guys, jiemin, the cellgroup people; erase them? You might as well erase me, give me a new identity.

I constantly pride myself upon the ability to archive all sorts of memory, at the back of my mind, i can vision pockets of memories filed neatly into sorted folders. I love to be able to pull them out whenever needed, its erm. Awesome?

Imagine one day on the road when you see a pedestrian and you just cannot seem to figure out where you met him/her. And he/she is (was) the love of your life.

Or. You remember this particular incident which is the best memory of your life, say pillow-taking under a starlit night on a frozen up river, and yet, you just cannot recall the face of the person you were with.

I say screw it.

"Blessed are the forgetful; for they get better even of their blunders."
- Friedrich Nietzsche


BULLSHIT.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home